A prenuptial agreement is a contract between two people about to wed that spells out how assets will be distributed in the event of divorce or death. A postnuptial agreement is signed any time after the marriage.
A prenup/postnup is smart financial planning for individuals who fall into any of the following categories:
- One of you owns real estate
- One of you owns all or part of a business
- You may be receiving an inheritance
- One of you has earned more than one year’s worth of retirement benefits or other valuable employment benefits, such as profit sharing or stock options
- One of you has children and/or grandchildren from a previous marriage
- One of you is much wealthier than the other
- One of you plan to pursue an advanced degree while the other works
Under California law, married couples have the highest level of fiduciary duty to each other, therefore both premarital agreements and post-nuptial agreements must be negotiated and drafted with great care.
Our office is here to assist you with the preparation of your prenuptial or postnuptial agreements, in order to ensure you are fully prepared for the future.